Sunday 4 August 2013

Dave

The naming process was supposed to be quite simple. After all I had been thinking about my children's names since I was a child myself. So why was I now finding it so difficult? Mainly because the father to be hates all the names I like. The father to be also wants his name to be the baby's surname but grants me the middle name of my choosing. Months have gone by where I have suggested names and he either rejects them completely or thinks they're "alright" or "not bad", not completely won over by any name. 

People have told me never to discuss names with the family but when your partner is so unwilling to talk about names, never coming up with any suggestions himself I find it hard to stick to this rule. Then, of course, I started discussing names on public forums and found the usual repusled reaction to my taste in names. Are my names really that bad? Or is it everyone else who is wrong? Is it wrong to want something a bit different for your child? 

My mum wanted something different for me. I got bullied but who wasn't? Plus i wasn't just bullied for my name, I was bullied because my hair was longer than average and for being too thick for the top set of English yet too swatty for the bottom set of French and Maths, and, of course, I got bullied for being ugly. I'm not a doctor or someone of high importance but if I had the brain power and career drive I'm sure I would be no matter what my name is. 

I've come to the point now where I'm exhausted with it and am resigning to the fact that my child will probably be named something I don't initially like. I'll carry him for 9 months (which is unpleasant) give birth to him (which - guess what - will also be unpleasent not to mention ruining my body for the rest of my life) and then, after all that shit, have to name him Dave. The pressure is too much. And please don't comment on this saying I can name my child what I want because I really can't without someone saying they hate it or smile to my face then bitch about it to someone else. 

14 comments:

  1. Kegel exercises. And the two of you will find a compromise when munchkin graces everyone with his presence. You really shouldn't decide on a name until you have looked the wee bairn in the eyes, they are the window to the soul after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right - you've said this too me a lot and all babies look the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no they dont, and its the eyes munchkin, thats what you have to look into

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like the thought of letting my preconceptions of how someone should look affect my name choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But you would rather decide on a name without seeing if it fits their face?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, because I'm the mum and I'll do what I want, thanks.

      Delete
  6. Well evidently you wont as you two cant decide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we will do eventually.

      Delete
    2. I sure you will too. Try following the German law that says 'the name of the child must indicate the gender of the child, and must not negatively affect their well being'.

      Delete
    3. Yeah because if I choose a name that is not traditional I will negatively affect their well being. Such bullshit.

      Delete
  7. I'm not German and I will name my child what I like thank you very much, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just saying you are lucky to live in a country which doesn't have such archaic laws, like Belgium where the child HAS to have a middle name. Or Iceland where you cannot name it after any living relative (so no Marcus Jr).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saying you can name your child whatever you want traditional or otherwise and I will do you the curtesy of not saying a word.

      Delete